Seeing Sites and Sight to See

Week five of six is over. I'm already sad with just the thought of leaving Ghana. All the same, we had a great week. We started off with a close outreach in Accra on Monday. We had around 100 people there. Unfortunately for me, most people in the area we visited speak Ga instead of Twi, a language I only know a few words in. They kept getting mad at me for trying to speak Twi to them even though most of them understand it. I guess I need to expand my linguistic abilities. I was helping with visual acuity testing that day. The chart we were using to test people's vision was taped to the wall of a bathroom with no roof which meant that I got to both hear and smell people's bodily functions. Booyah!


The church in Accra we worked in.


The bathrooms (or washrooms as they call it here).



Tuesday morning we headed to Cape Coast in the Central Region. It is a beautiful coastal city with some amazing sights. We worked in an old Methodist church with some sweet architecture. It was a bit of a slower day as far as eye screenings were concerned, so a buddy and I took off to see a nearby fort. It was a tall circular structure built on top of hill. From the top of the fort we had an amazing view of Cape Coast. There was a sweet lady doing her laundry who greeted us at the top. She lives in the fort as a caretaker and she was hanging her wet clothes on some lines tied between the old rusted cannons. 

The inside of the church in Cape Coast.

The outside of the church we worked in.

This little guy kept me company throughout the day.

The fort, which was also used as a light house.


A view of Cape Coast.

Another view of the city.

On Wednesday we had a quick outreach in the morning nearby the hotel we stayed in. For lunch we wandered through the narrow alleys of the local market crammed with people until we found some rice. We were done around 1pm, so we used our extra time to go to the beach for a couple of hours. On the beach we had some fresh coconuts cut for us. Sipping cold coconut water under a palm tree while watching the waves wash on shore is no easy job, but I managed. On Thursday we went to the St. Thomas Eye Hospital to observe surgeries yet again. This week I got to see both some amazing sites and some amazing people receiving their sight.


Our outreach for the day.


The market we wandered through. The markets here have designated market days each week when everyone comes to sell their goods. 


It's not easy to be me.



An outside view of the St. Thomas Eye Hospital.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home Sweet Home!

Fufu, Gunshots, and Sight Restored

A Day in the Life of a Unite For Sight Volunteer